Tuesday, February 9, 2010

A Good Day for Quotes

Art is making something out of nothing and selling it. Frank Zappa

I've been looking up art quotes all morning. This one by Frank Zappa is funny and not at all cynical. Making something out of nothing is actually a cool thing and selling art is not the root of all evil. Honestly, making money motivates great art. It is foolish to think art is not made to be sold. My husband came up with this quote:

No man but a fool ever wrote but for money. Benjamin Johnson.

And we can thank Andy Warhol for this one:

Making money is art, and work is art, and good business is the best art of all.

These quotes are by way of working out lesson three from my online marketing class. Today's lesson is to flesh out my buyer, to imagine the type of person who would buy my art. I need to actually create this person in my mind. Give him or her a name, a family, a career, and some ready cash. Instead of that I've been google-ing quotes. I need to buck up my confidence and come to terms with the idea that I would like to make money with my art because, after all:

Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons. Woody Allen.

No comments:

Post a Comment