There was an error in this gadget

Saturday, September 19, 2009

About Lucian Freud



The only thing that's interesting about art present or past is quality. The whole mystery of art is why good things are good. - Lucian Freud

I have a new favorite portrait artist, Lucian Freud. Why I didn't know about him until a few days ago is beyond me. Good thing I don't call myself an art historian anymore, not that I ever really did. This artist was mentioned to me at AVEO Pharmaceuticals' informal art show. I chatted with a few people there and mentioned how I wanted to start painting portraits. Freud was brought up. Of course the next day I had to look this artist up and now I am in awe of his work. I'm impressed by the fact that his models will sit for 5 hours, 7 days a week, for several months just for one portrait. This is an interesting article about one model's experience: "Captured by Lucian Freud" by Martin Gayford. Another good article is: "Seeing Through the Skin" from The Guardian.

No comments:

Post a Comment